Monday, July 11, 2016

If my people

So much has happened since my last post. Especially here in Dallas last week. It feels like anything I write will seem trite. But today on my way home from the bank and other errands I remembered again how important thankfulness is--especially when it seems hardest. It can keep us sane and connected to God and keep us from giving in to fear and bitterness.

I'm thankful:

1. For the impromptu prayer time we had with my Mother's caregiver Sunday. She is a strong Christian who happens to be black. It was an important time of healing, reconciliation and crying out to God for our nation and city.

2. For the positive interactions I had today with many black people I came across. Not all, unfortunately, but the vast majority. The, predominately black, staff at the banks and post office where I went were even nicer and more helpful than usual. It was a relief. I was kind of nervous about going out. 

3. For this positive news item from Fox News. (http://video.foxnews.com/v/5029871689001/mom-shot-at-dallas-rally-officer-told-me-to-run-as-he-fell/) I posted it on facebook too. It helped to bring a healing and more balanced perspective on the tragedy. 

4. For this promise from 2 Chronicles 7:14-- "If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

5. For Christ's example. The only perfect sinless person who ever lived was murdered unjustly and yet he forgave and prayed, "Father forgive them..." He calls us to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment