Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Burnout



I guess the heat yesterday was too much for my squash plant.


This is a good picture of how I've been feeling lately. Burnt-out.


A few weeks ago everything seemed great.

What happened?

In the case of the squash, the heat plus the small size of the container may be the trouble.


For me, it may be partly because I've been letting bitterness and discouragement creep in. I tend to believe I have to perform perfectly to be accepted--by God and everyone else. Of course I can't so then I get discouraged.

But I don't have to. God, at least, loves me and accepts me even when I'm not perfectly brilliant at everything all the time (or any of the time).

Thank you God for your GRACE! I don't have to perform to be loved by you!!


2 comments:

  1. I understand. I struggle with re-playing conversations or situations in my head and try to figure out what I should have done or said differently. The Lord is helping me to see that I can walk in freedom to be the unique person he has made me, without shame or fear. A verse that helps me when my thoughts start racing is 2 Corinthians 10:5, "Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ." Thanks for writing, as it helps me get to know you better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just want to affirm that the idea that you have to perform perfectly is a LIE!!! :-)

    I remember a few years ago when I was struggling with perfectionism. I would get depressed and feel rejected when I never got picked for any of the special ensemble things in the symphony chorus. One particular time when, yet again, my name was not on the "special people" list, I remember telling myself that this was an opportunity to practice "knowing" what God had been trying to teach me: "I don't need to be 'one of the best' in order to be okay." So when something happens that tends to be discouraging, maybe it would be helpful to see that as God giving you "yet another" an opportunity to practice living in grace. :-) Sounds like you were doing that here!

    ReplyDelete