Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Deck the Halls with... necklaces?

I tried something different on our tree this year.

A few weeks ago, my friend Susan offered some necklaces to me that she didn’t think she would wear from her late mom’s jewelry collection. One of the ones I selected had a pendant with a pretty red rose on it.

Later I got the idea of using it as Christmas tree ornament. Last week when we decorated our tree I tried it and it did look pretty.

I thought of a few other necklace pendants I have that have sentimental value but I don’t actually wear. So, I put those on the tree as well. I want to get some thin red ribbon to tie them on with because the plane metal hooks don’t look right on them.

Here they are with the red ribbon:
The pendant from Susan's Mom

Here is one that John made when he was little for his Mum

This is from the necklace my Mom wore to our wedding

This is from a necklace that was my Aunt Carolyn's 

Now I am wondering if I might be able to re-purpose some other special things.
I have a large collection of refrigerator magnets I no longer keep on the refrigerator that are nice mementos from special places. And we have lots of shells sitting in bags and boxes that I have thought would make pretty Christmas tree ornaments if I could ever get around to doing something with them.

Later I looked at my refrigerator magnet collection. A few of them might be nice as tree ornaments, but not as many as I expected. They will take a little modification to make them work. I'm not sure they are worth it though. I was surprised at how little sentiment I felt toward them. Maybe it’s time to declutter them. I found a shell that would look pretty. I'll need to have John help drill holes in it to hang it with. I'm not making any promises, though.


This is my favorite Nativity scene. My parents had one like it when I was a kid. 


No comments:

Post a Comment