Saturday, November 9, 2019

Vacation 2019 - Week One - Robbers Cave State Park

As I stretched out my post breakfast cup of tea and cajoled myself to start writing I googled “reluctant writer.” I thought it might help generate some sort of motivation while at the same time procrastinating just a little bit longer.

I am not alone, I discovered, there were lots of articles advising school teachers on how to get their “reluctant writer” elementary students to do their writing assignments. I guess I’m sort of like a beleaguered teacher trying to cajole her recalcitrant elementary-student self to do what I know she really does want to do--deep down.

One article advised having the students start by drawing pictures and talking about them.

Oh, I thought, that’s like me sharing my vacation pictures and telling you about them. I can do that 😊.

The first week of vacation was at our old favorite, Robbers Cave State Park (RCSP), near the town of Wilburton in Southeastern Oklahoma.

It was our fifth time at RCSP, the last time was in 2014, before we had our RV. I was thrilled to be going there again. I was looking forward to seeing and doing all of my favorite things.

The first day, after getting the RV parked, leveled and connecting to the water and electric we went for a drive through the park in our little Honda tow car. It was nice to see that things were mostly how I remembered them.

Unfortunately, the rest of the week filled up fast with other not so fun things. Between lots of heavy rain and plumbing and electrical problems in the RV and a minor injury to my right elbow we only managed one hiking expedition together and no canoeing. I think John fit another hiking trip in by himself. We also had a few picnics.

I still got quite a few photos, though:

Morning sun on RV site across from ours before neighbors arrived

Site 31 -- The trees were pretty but spider-y! Three spiders came in the RV.

John out for a stroll. Yes it really is Oklahoma!

Picnic at Lake Carlton--I love this place, especially when it's not crowded.



I played around with my camera's art mode to try and capture the colors better. It did something interesting with the center and background too. It wasn't too far from reality.


American beauty berry bush

 --
When squatting down for the wildflowers got painful I went looking for something at eye level and found this little pine cone wedged in this tree's bark. 


Fungi. I love the detail!

Very tiny Fungi. Tiny white things are often difficult to photograph well and this was no exception. My long-suffering husband let me drag him back to look for this again so I could have another try! He is worth more than any fungi! :-)
Foot bridge over Lake Carlton.


View of Lake Carlton from the foot bridge

Water lilies from bridge
Gazebo at Lake Carlton. Looking from the other side of the foot bridge.

An actual lily on the water lilies!

There weren't many flowers on the water lilies but there was a very patient turtle.

And we took lots of pictures of him:

I was excited to get such a clear photo of the detail on his head. 





2 comments:

  1. I love the photos. The water lily ones are very Monet-like. Were you inspired by your visit to see his paintings? The fungi shots are gorgeous, especially that large sprawling one. And that turtle is too cute. I have never seen one posing like that. Fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melissa! Coming from you, especially, that means a lot! I probably was inspired by Monet to focus on the water lilies. It was fun to think of him and try to get a good shot in his honor.

    ReplyDelete