Wednesday, February 21, 2018

But of course

As I should have expected, this week I have been wrestling with believing and accepting God’s grace and forgiveness about some past sins. It even took me a little while to see the irony. Here I had just given a talk at our ladies breakfast about that very thing: accepting God’s grace by faith. And here I was not heeding my own exhortations. I certainly believed them, that was why I gave the talk in the first place. But then I somehow lost sight of the truth again.

Yes, I too need to really believe and remember again that my performance and (non-existent) perfection are not what I am trusting in. I can never be good enough or perform well enough to pay for my own sins and be accepted by God. It is only my faith in God’s grace and the forgiveness that Jesus bought for me on the cross that saves me.

But what about “x” sin? Does he really forgive that? Besides I’m not supposed to be that messed up. I shouldn’t need grace in that area!

Huh??!! Wow that’s pretty crazy!! I didn’t know I was that delusional.

I don’t think it is just a case of seriously delusional self-righteousness, though. It is also something of a realization of how sinful sin is. But of course it is. It really is that bad. That’s why Jesus died! To save sinners just like me. If our sins were no big deal to God then Jesus would not have gone through all that! But he did for me and all of us and I can believe it and apply it to my sins too! All of them! No matter how embarrassing or stupid. All of them. He has removed them as far as the east is from the west. Thank you God!
“He does not treat us as our sins deserve
or repay us according to our iniquities.
For as high as the heavens are above the earth,
so great is his love for those who fear him;
as far as the east is from the west,
so far has he removed our transgressions from us.”
Psalm 103:10-12


No comments:

Post a Comment