Monday, February 22, 2016

Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee


"Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee"-- I love this hymn* featured in my devotional reading today.

He is the "God of glory, Lord of love!"

Like the hymn writer, I too want my heart to open to the sun/Son above. He is the "Giver of immortal gladness." Only he can "melt the clouds of sin and sadness" and "drive the dark of doubt away."

During breakfast I noticed the birds outside sounded so cheerful that I opened the window to enjoy them better. I guess they are enjoying the warmer weather and the welcome rain we had last night. It seemed fitting when I came to this line in verse two:
"...chanting bird and flowing fountain, call us to rejoice in thee."**
I don't have a fountain, but the birds seemed to be outdoing themselves in calling me to rejoice with them.

I'm thankful:
1. For the cheerful birds
2. that i'm regaining energy since i stopped taking extra potassium supplements. (I thought I needed extra, but I think I over-did it.)
3. that John was well enough to go back to work this morning
4. for the rain last night
5. For God's forgiveness! Like the song says He is "giving and forgiving."

Here is a particularly good rendition on Youtube with on-screen lyrics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMY3ivdNzwE

*written by Henry van Dyke, music by Ludwig van Beethoven from Ninth Symphony
**sometimes "singing bird"

No comments:

Post a Comment