Sunday, March 15, 2015

I give you control...?



“My heart and my soul, I give you control. Consume me from the inside out”

As we sang this during Worship this morning I thought, hang on, God isn’t some kind of drug that we take to make us do things we would never do if we had a choice. He is a God of love who doesn’t want to control us like robots. 

I sometimes wish He would. "Just take over God, and make me do whatever you want me to do." It seems like it would be better for everybody, and way easier for me, especially when I think he wants me to do something that I really don't want to do. 

But He seemed to speak to my heart that what he wants is for me to be so filled with love for Him that I really want to do those things—even the hard things. Love motivates and energizes, it doesn’t control. 

He wants me to choose and do and walk myself. Walking in the Spirit is not like riding in an electric wheelchair. I have to take the steps. He is pleased with even my baby steps toward Him. He would rather I make the effort even if it means I don’t get as far. He is less concerned with my great performance than with my great love. If I have that great love I will make the effort and even if I fall down I’ll get up and keep trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment