Monday, August 4, 2008

Christ delights in us

Jesus Christ, our bridegroom, is as delighted with us, his bride, as we are with him!

Read what the bridegroom tells his beloved,

"How delightful is your love, my sister, my bride! How much more pleasing is your love than wine, and the fragrance of your perfume than any spice!" Solomon's "Song of of Songs" 4:10

This mirrors what his beloved bride said previously to him in chapter 1, verses 2-3:

"for your love is more delightful than wine. Pleasing is the fragrance of your perfumes;"

Amazing! Think about it. I'll say it again. Jesus Christ, our bridegroom, is as delighted with us, his bride, as we are with him!

Notes:
1. Solomon's “Song of Songs” has been viewed in Christian tradition as an allegory of Christ's love for the church. (And in Hebrew tradition as an allegory of God's love for his people, Israel.)

2. If the use of the word "wine" in this passage does not communicate much-- or if it has negative connotations-- try thinking of it instead as anything that you think is really delicious and delightful (like chocolate, or ice cream :-); or that you turn to for comfort and escape.

1 comment:

  1. I think that this is such a key idea. Sometimes I think if we could only get this, a whole lot of other things would become easier. Unfortunately I don't think I've quite got it yet, at least not to the extent I need to.

    ReplyDelete