Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Overcoming fear

Lately, in addition to depression I have also been battling headaches. Yesterday Sharon C. commented that I should try rebuking the enemy in case the depression is due to a spiritual attack. So I did. I noticed some improvement. But was still struggling with the headache and depression this morning. So I prayed for wisdom to know how to battle this thing that seemed to be attacking me. 2 Timothy 1:7 came to mind. I wondered if God was showing me that the headaches were being brought on because I have been giving way to fear. So I began to rebuke the spirit of fear; depending as I did so on the authority that I have in Jesus. The headaches subsided right away. The depression also started to lift.*

Several times since they have started to return, but I have again come against the spirit of fear in the authority of Jesus' name and by the power of His blood that he shed for us on the cross.

I have fought successfully against fear in the past and I believe I can again with God's help.

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7 (KJV)

*Getting past the depression seemed to require some other steps and effort on my part. I prayed for God's help. I was hoping He would just infuse me with a sudden burst of energy and joy, but instead he gave me instructions and helped me to get moving little by little. "Now stand up," when I did that, "now put your shoes on", then "now go get the mail". and so it went. Each little 'accomplishment' helped me to gain momentum for the next and the next until I was finally at my computer beginning to work on the latest report for my job. And since I had not done one for a while and felt rusty, it started again, me asking for help and God giving me instructions little by little. Until I started to get into it more and more.

I can definitely see that for the last several weeks, especially, I have been letting myself get bound up in fear about my job and writing in general. But I think that when I resist the temptation to fear that not only will my joy in my job increase but possibly even my skill and effectiveness will also increase. Not to mention my overall health and well being!

Please God, may it be so!

1 comment:

  1. I love the hopefulness in this post. Some of your best posts (so far!) are this one and the ones either side of it, IMHO. Keep depending on Him.

    ReplyDelete